Friday, April 9, 2010

Finding Lost Pieces...


I had forgotten about this piece. I did it as part of my entrance portfolio to an advertising art college program about 26 years ago. I was 18 when I did it. My cousin had seen it and asked if she could have it. I gave it to her and she framed it and I was reminded of it's existence on a visit to her and her husband's home last winter.

I only had a pocked camera to take a shot so that I would remember her. Funny, these images we draw, paint, conjure up. They have a life of their own once they leave our hands. Like our children they go out into the world and we have no idea how they are treated, talked about or where they end up. Just like people, in a way. Some attain great heights and are on display in a vaulted room with much attention and fanfare and others maybe remain in a corner, meaning to be put up, but never gotten around to. Who knows?

This one was on display, nicely framed and it was truly a wondrous strange event, being re-introduced to her again. Like an old, lost friend coming to visit for a but a brief time. This life is like that, a brief visit with those we remember from times past - like a memory in a cloud on the wind.

5 comments:

  1. What a neat story. It is fun to find things you created waaayyyy back when!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is and it also reminds me how ooooold I am getting! *laughing*

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's beautiful - and how wonderful that she was being honoured with a frame and hanging prominently. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true, what you said about art being like "our children." I sometimes feel like old art is like an old friend. Old pieces can pop up again in your life and surprise you. That's one of the best parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure is, strange how it makes one feel, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete