Sunday, May 30, 2010

Orange!


Maybe it's a visual reaction to the year's color turquoise but I don't think so - my whole being is craving orange!

It doesn't matter where I go. At the greenhouse I was trolling the foliage-lined isles looking for orange in all it's shades. I managed to find a lovely carnation in a knocked back shade of orange, with a most beautiful scent but a true-blue orange I could not find.

Later in the week I was at my grocery store and on my way out - there it was! The ORANGE! I believe it's a hibiscus and the shade of orange with the sunlight illuminating it's fragile petals creates a luminescent orange of heavenly beauty.

Of course now I have to paint orange. But how? Well I am working on what is turning out to be an abstract of sorts, in acrylic, many layers, many values of orange and hues. I will post it as soon as it is done. However, now blues and turquoise must be expressed as they are the natural complement of orange. This whole creation will either be a diptych or triptych, we will see : )

I have decided to stop trying to control the process, to get out of the way and just be the midwife to the creations, to support them as they come into being. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I've been loving orange lately too! Can't wait to see your finished piece! : )
    ps: glad you've marked your calendar for Christie in Sept - you'll be shocked at how huge it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think I have to go just to see it in all it's glory! Can you think of anything better to do on a gorgeous eastern Canada early fall day? Me neither! LoL! I think I will be doing a few orange based paintings so stay tuned. I will be away for a few weeks but when I am back, man, I have SO many paintings screaming to be heard and painted! Thanks for your comment Lisaroy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful hibiscus! I really like orange also. I feel it is underrated. I like all colors though :) Happy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete