Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bigger, Brighter, Better!



In case you're getting a feeling of deja vu, yes I did do a small 5" x 7" original oil that I titled "Joyburst", see below


But I wanted to do it in a larger format and in acrylics so I set about painting it on an 11" x 14" stretched canvas and was, well, seldom I say this but I was VERY happy with how it turned out.

When you compare the two paintings you'll see they are somewhat different. I kept the composition similar but had to make some additions as the 11" x 14" format meant I had to make adjustments to the design accordingly. When you design a well-working painting, if you change just one element, EVERYTHING changes and it can be a big headache, but I was able to adjust it without too much trouble. Can you pick out the difference? It's kind of like "where's Waldo".

One of the strengths of acrylic is the colors just POP! One of my friends and fans said it looked just like summer sherbet, good enough to lick! Hah! I loved that one. Yes, it's like being a kid again without any knowledge of anything really bad, just swinging on a swing with an ice cream (or sherbet) ice cream cone running down your hand and you don't even care. It's summer and the world is yours to play with! 
Sigh, yep, that's how this painting makes me feel and I hope it makes you feel that carefree too!

No comments:

Post a Comment