Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back from the Parched Lands of Uninspired Existence

My first "One hour A Painting a Day" painting.
It's an oil on a 4" x 6" canvas board.

Click here to Bid!

I'm back. Man what a drought! I have been through the parched lands of Uninspiration. I don't even care if that's a word or not. It exists, a cold, dry, desert land where the winds never stop blowing and the sun barely illuminates the land. Sounds like Saskatchewan in January, but I digress.

I had to leave the apartment for 2 days as they were testing the air raid fire alarm system all day long for 2 days and there is no way I could have stayed sane through that. I got out of the big city and finally found, some land, some wild, quiet country land. As I photographed the scenery, flora, fauna and such, I felt a stirring, in what remained of my soul. I was coming alive again.

Then some friends came over when I got back. Both artists. The apartment was transformed into an creative speakeasy. It was fantastic. Through that exchange a pact was made - we would help keep each other inspired and so was born the one drawing and a painting a day (but you only have an hour to do that painting in) challenge. 

So here is the first drawing I have done since God knows when.

Here is a 10 to 15 minute contour drawing. A little hideous but you
just have to get the bugs out. Some nice areas though.

Then the sketch for the painting done in with a raw sienna water color pencil.

Drawing right from the plant I quickly sketch out
and under painting drawing to paint upon

I decided to go with oils. I haven't painted in oils since I think since last February. I have been working predominantly in acrylics for quite some time but I wanted a change. Wow, did I make the right move. Painting in oils is like painting a dream. I forgot how much I loved them. This painting was done with Winsor Newton and Gamblin oils. No mediums were used. Because of health reasons and also to reduce volatiles being released into the atmosphere, I just work strictly with the oil paints and push them around with my brush and let them just be who they are. I must say, they responded brilliantly.

So there you have it. My first APAD (a painting a day) one hour painting. It's good to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment