Monday, August 15, 2011

Fantastical Sunflower

"Leo Sunflower" a lion of a little oil painting - 6" x 6" on canvas panel
Click to Purchase
I went out the other night and took reams of photos in the neighbourhood. I came across some lovely sunflowers and black-eyed susans and they were the inspiration for this painting. I tried to do realism but it was like a horse wanting to gallop that was barred behind the barn door. I finally just had to let it out and just paint this image the way IT wanted to be born, not how I wanted it to be born. It can be a really frustrating process, this tug o' war. Once I relinquished, I just felt it "flow".

So here it is. It's not what I had in mind but it really pleasantly surprised me. Gallop on muse, gallop on!

4 comments:

  1. your paintings are very expressive--I especially love the banner with both figures turned away from the viewer. It has so much mystery & it's beautifully painted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, so much Linda. That is one of my favourites, the cat and girl - I just love how the subjects are in the frame and that they are turned away from the viewer. That, to me, is a story in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style and the things you post! SO glad you commented on my DPW entry- and I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Sally. I appreciate hearing that and why wouldn't I comment on your work, I love it! : )

    ReplyDelete