Sunday, August 7, 2011

Painting Favourite Coffee Cups and Raising Funds for Alzheimer's Art Auction

"My Blue Cup" 5" x 6" Oil on panel - part of the proceeds going to
Alzheimer's research
Click to Purchase
This weeks DPW painting challenge was to paint your favourite cup. Well, mine just happens to be this blue one, partly because it IS my favourite and partly because I have broken all the ones I like. So I did this painting last night. I wanted to add some excitement to it and placed the blue mug on a yellow drying dish cloth. I love the brilliance of the yellow against the cobalt blue of the mug. Makes me think of blue birds of happiness set against sunflower fields happily simmering under the summer sun. 

Also, it reminded me of a notice I got from the Alzheimer's society a while back about doing some fundraising by hosting a coffee break (one can do it at their place of work, or in their apartment block, or health club, wherever). Here's the link for more info http://www.alz.org/join_the_cause_coffee_break.asp
So, when I got this challenge it reminded me of that and since I can't host anything I thought at least I can donate something to the cause. 

Again, I liked this challenge this week. We'll see what next week brings!

4 comments:

  1. I have a set of dishes that are in a cobalt blue. How ironic..I'm just having a cup of tea in one of the cups!
    Great idea for the painting Gwen..beautiful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflections are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little painting! I've been donating proceeds from some of my art sales to various charities as well. Feels good doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah thanks everyone. Yeah, Rebecca, when I do sell this piece it WILL feel great! Lol!

    ReplyDelete