Friday, December 30, 2011

Love it, Hate it or Somewhere In Between Pantone's Colour For 2012




You would think that as we, the world and it's inhabitants, sit perched on the what could be a hell of a year, that perhaps the fashion world could have caught that and NOT picked a colour that looks like flames devouring a peach orchard? Honestly, I mean, if the world was in a slumber that needed to be shaken off I could understand it but that is definitely NOT where the world is at these days. Things are boiling over almost everywhere so what we need is a optimistic and/or encouraging colour that could be coupled with some fresh and foundational colours.

Well love it or hate it, it's here for the year. Thank goodness it is coupled with some other colours so one can take it in bits and bites. As an accent colour it's great, as a dominating colour, it's exhausting. And by the way, I hate the colour rust, and this comes close to it, but with more oomph. Reminds me of the time I worked freelance for an advertising agency and the owner was so cheap, rather than laying down self-sealing light green/blue linoleum on our drawing boards (that was what you did back in the days before computers when everything was laid out by hand) he bought some battleship rust-coloured linoleum because it was way cheaper. I sat back in my chair and just said, "No, now way, I can't work all day staring at this!" Finally he relented and went out and got the right stuff. I think the 70's love affair with rust as well as forever set me against anything close to it.

Well no matter where you lie on the love it or leave richter scale on this colour, I wish you a very Happy New Year and may the year coming be peaceful and prosperous for us all, including Ms. Pantone Tangerine!

No comments:

Post a Comment