Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry or Blue Christmas?

An 8" x 10" water media illustration I did about 16 or so years ago,
using my sweet beagle, Beamer, for reference. 

It's that time of the year again where everywhere we see images of smiling Christmas adverts or tv programs, movies, cook books, you name it. Everywhere we look there's tinsel and mall Christmas music or the sweeter nostalgia of hymns that made mainstream.  Songs like "Silent Night", or "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", still bring a small smile to my face, but it's a sweet, sad smile. For me, Christmas is a reminder of loss, of things changed forever, of being forced to recall a time before you knew otherwise yet striving to make the present as good as it can be. Christmas has become to me a kind of blue event. It's something like this:  

When I was young, Christmas was all about fun and presents and hanging out with friends. In my late twenties and early thirties it was about sharing time with family and friends, playing games, giving gifts to make dreams for our loved ones come true. Now, in my late forties, I have come to realize life sometimes cuts those dreams down, people get sick, life changes everything and Christmas becomes an unwelcome reminder of what one's losses have become. BUT there is a present more precious than anything money could buy and that only experience can precipitate, and that is the Compassion that has grown in my heart as a result. 

So, this year, may those of you who are having a less than stellar Christmas because of loss, of pain, of bereavement, of incoming or ongoing poverty, may you be given relief. That is my wish for you, my Christmas wish and if I could materialize that for you in some way, I would. I hope that you know that someone, and there are many more than me, care and are going through a "blue" Christmas too. 


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. My childhood Christmases were not full of joy, and I still try to capture it today as an adult. We are more compassionate because of it. I'm so glad the lemon squares led you to my blog. Lovely to meet you, and I hope your New Year brings joy.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete